VBAC Ban? Say What?

by Mrs. BWF on October 23, 2012

Mandy took this fun, messy picture of her 3 year old, who is not only adorable, but was also her VBA2C baby. So why not add a caption to make a point? ;)

“There is a VBAC Ban in the hospital of the town we just moved to last week. It happens to be the same hospital where I ended up with my first csection. :( Highest rate in the state of Idaho.” ~Mandy

erin November 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm

That’s just crazy. I live in a small town in Washington state and the hospital here also has a VBAC ban. But my amazing OB finds ways around it. Im going try for a VBA2C in June with his help. Maybe you can find a dr. who will support you and help you work around the hospitals policy? Good luck!

Reannan Keene December 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

What town is this? I live in Id is why I ask…there is a local ban @ KMC in CDA, Id…

carly December 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Reannan I’ve been singing the praises of kmc because of my experience there. Im really disappointed to read this.

erin January 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

Walla Walla. My OB has been working to get the hospitals policy changed and it sounds like VBACs may be allowed as early as March:)
My first was delivered at Valley Hospital in Spokane in 2007. They were allowing VBACs at that time. That’s not to far of a drive for you.

Ashley Walker January 18, 2013 at 4:59 pm

May I ask who the dr is in Walla Walla because I am in Pomeroy and looking for a doctor willing to do VBAC.

Erika February 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Ashley,
I live in Lewiston, ID and have been going to Valley Medical for prenatal visits. Although St. Joe’s here in Lewiston has a “ban” on VBAC’s they are doing more and more of them. They will let you labor and all the L&D staff are supportive of VBAC even if their official policy isn’t. They are also working on changing the policy. I plan to have a VBAC here in May…working on interviewing doulas now so that I can labor as long as possible at home. I will refuse a medically unnecessary c-section but I’m okay with that as long as I know they will be supportive of this decision..and I hear that they will be. Apparently they won’t force me into a section just because I had one with my first. We’ll see!

erin hutchison May 6, 2013 at 11:53 am

Ashley, I am so sorry, I just saw this!! I hope its not too late for this info! My OB is Dr. Wujek at the Walla Walla Women’s Clinic. He is currently very close to getting the Vbac ban changed at St. Mary’s. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like it will be in time for my delivery. But maybe yours? However, he will do his very best to help you vbac if you are a good candidate. I also learned that you have the right to refuse a c-section if its not medically necessary. That’s my back up plan and he said he is fine with that.

Melissa May 5, 2013 at 1:46 am

I know this post from a while back, but I would like to know which doctor you are seeing. I love in Walla Walla too and have been searching for a vbac friendly doctor.

erin hutchison May 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

Melissa, sorry I just saw this! Dr. Wujek at the Women’s Clinic. They are working hard to get the policy changed at St. Mary’s, he expects it to be changed very soon.

erin hutchison May 6, 2013 at 11:58 am

Melissa, you can email me if you want more info!! erin-hutchison@hotmail.com.

Tessie December 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Most of the hospitals here in arkansas wont except VBAC women and most of them have the VBAC ban. I had a c-section with my 1st child and am having a horriable time trying to find a VBAC doctor before I get pregant with the 2nd. Also the midwives in this area are not allowed to preform HBAC’s. Its horriable. I dont know what i’ll do if I have to repeat a c-section.

Annie Hope December 28, 2012 at 3:17 am

Can a hospital really refuse to treat a women if she arrives in labour? A hospital can’t force a lady to have a caesarean either. Can a VBAC ban really be inforced, or can they just refused to give their “approval” on one as a pre-planned treatment. (Writing from NZ where VBACS are actively encouraged as their method of bringing down caesareans rates.) It sounds progressive, but I wish they would also give some focus on ensuring the doctors do not do unnecessary Caesareans in the first place!