The Nursing Babe

by Krystal Cleaver on January 14, 2014

My daughter is currently 5 1/2 months old. I haven’t introduced solids on a regular basis yet, and really don’t plan to until after she is 6 months old.

When I was pregnant my whole family was against breastfeeding. “How are going to feed her in public?”, “Breastfeeding will get old, you will never get a break.”

Then once I had Venice, every time she whimpered they would say, “It’s the breast milk making her cry, you might need to try formula!”

I got offered formula on a daily basis and I even starting receiving formula in the mail! I was so confused. My head was spinning with thoughts like, “Maybe they’re right, maybe she isn’t getting full”, “maybe she’s not gaining weight.”

Though my heart and my gut said “Sara, this may be your first child, but you know what is best. You know she’s doing fine.”

Then two weeks after birth, she wouldn’t latch. I was having to use nipple shields and I was very stressed. I thought I couldn’t handle it. I couldn’t get positions down, she wanted to nurse herself to sleep. It was exhausting. But I didn’t quit, nor do I pump. I am here for her when ever she needs. Whether in public or in bed.

I can’t explain to anyone how overwhelmed I am with the fact that I did it. I am doing it. I am a mother. And it’s easy…I want to. I have a incredibly strong bond with this little stinker and I would never do anything besides breast.

The Nursing Babe 1

The Nursing Babe 2

Nursing Babe 3

Erin January 14, 2014 at 11:28 am

You have such an adorable, squishy baby! I just wanna eat her up!

Kerri January 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Beautiful! I miss it so much…

Lion Mama January 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Keep it up moma!!! I can totally relate to this….My MIL would buy me formula and say that “its just as good as breast milk..if not better”. Im so glad i used my intuition and kept breastfeeding for 1 year even though they kept twlling me it wss too long. I refused to give my baby anything but breastmilk even with all the negative comments and attitudes….

Jaime January 14, 2014 at 1:22 pm

This is absolutely beautiful. I breastfed my daughter until she was 8 months old and my breasts stopped producing, I would have kept on if I could have. It was such a bonding experience, everyone could love on my baby all they wanted, only I could give her the nourishment she wanted. I loved when she would look up at me and smile or if she fell into a milk coma. Being able to nurse your baby is a gift and not every mom can so I cherished every feeding, it was time that could never be replaced. Thank you for sharing.

Amy Jo January 14, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Keep it up momma!!!! I’m so with you!!!

Khaleelah January 14, 2014 at 3:17 pm

You did such a wonderful job! Remember all those special snuggles just for Momma when she gets older. And….when (if?) the next one comes along her special snuggles might help you if difficulties arise with that child(ren).

brandi January 14, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Good job mama! Keep it up! I love to hear these success stories!

Maggie January 15, 2014 at 10:06 am

Good job hanging in there! I had to use nipple shields for awhile when my daughter was born and I contemplated giving up. She had a very small mouth and I had way too much milk. I stuck it out even though it didn’t become easy until she was about 6 months. I ended up nursing her until she self-weaned, 3 days before her 2nd birthday. I am proud that I didn’t give up, and am going to do the same for my baby boy who is due in 3 weeks :)

Lindsay January 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

Nursing can be so hard at first! So proud of you for sticking with it! I loved nursing my babes and can’t wait to do it again with the next baby!

Prairie Wife January 17, 2014 at 11:01 am

As with all things in parenting, you need to do what you feel is best for your family. Great job listening to your heart instead of others opinions!

Erin May January 18, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I don’t know what your family is talking about… That baby looks plenty well-fed to me! I breastfed my son exclusively for the first year and he always looked healthy, but not as chubby as I would have liked… But nobody in my family ever gave any concern to breast feeding, and in fact strongly encouraged me to keep going. What kind of family are you dealing with that they would look like a chubby healthy baby like yours and think that she needs formula??

Amy January 22, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Love it!, thanks for sharing… I too am a first time mom… Expecting frat twin girls in less than 8 weeks. I plan to exclusively breastfeed them and you can imagine the hysterical family members… Either they laugh at my stupid naive intentions, or they scoff that I’ll give up.. Or they accuse me of hogging the babies… Or my favorite “how will your husband bond” … I love hearing women succeed inspite of the chaos :-)