The Baby of a Hero

by Birth Without Fear on November 11, 2011

“My husband Nick was killed in Afghanistan in September (and I wrote to you). I am pleased to finally be able to tell you that our son, Nicholas Tank, was born yesterday (42 weeks 3 days gestation) at 10:23 am. This was after a speedy 5 hours of labor, the first two of which I wasn’t really sure I was in labor, because it felt so different from my daughter’s.

He weighs 7 lbs 12 oz and is 22″. Much bigger than I expected! It is an amazing story that I’m sure he’ll be thrilled to hear one day. He was born about 10 minutes after we arrived at the birth center and almost delivered into the toilet. I felt like I had to pee, sat down and my water broke with his head immediately following. I was able to stand, but not walk, therefore I was holding onto the walls during delivery. The midwife caught him and handed him to me.

I noticed right away that he had my coloring and his dad’s big hands, but I didn’t know he was a boy until we walked to the bed a few minutes later. It was so intense and amazing! We are home snuggling and nursing and I feel pretty darn good.

Thank you to the BWF community for your thoughts and encouragement. I think Nick’s influence was in the fact that labor was so speedy and exciting. Today we took a picture of me, my mom, my daughter and baby Tankā€¦ there is a white auro near my head that I know is Nick being next to us. It’s our first whole family picture.

The name Tank is also Nick’s influence, he always said if we had a boy we’d have to name him Tank and this baby’s nickname has been that ever since so I had to make it his middle name!” ~Tasha

tiffany November 11, 2011 at 9:58 am

so sweet! God bless you and your family!

Amy J. November 11, 2011 at 10:03 am

Thank you. May God bless you always. Love and prayers to you!

Andrea November 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

Your story is amazing, it brought me to tears. Im so glad you have that complete photo of your family.

Heidi Freitas November 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

Thank you for you service & for your Husbands sacrifice.
You are an inspiration to any mother to be, but especially to us military wives to be. You are amazing and your son will hear this story one day and know even more how amazing you are! Congratulations

Thank you!
US Navy Wife

Selena November 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

Congratulations, he’s beautiful!

jessica November 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

God bless you and your family! Baby tank born right before veterans day, as to say “thank you daddy!” And I would personally like to thank your husband for fighting for the rights we all enjoy every day, and a huge Congrats to you mom! You truly are a warrior too!

danielle November 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

This brought me to tears. I’ve been stressing so badly about having my baby without my husband, but mine will only be deployed, not passed. Tasha, you are an incredible woman and mother and an inspiration to all milspouses. Much love to you and yours. Bless you.

Oh, and Tank is gorgeous :)

Ann November 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

You have me in tears. What a lovely, heart-wrenching story. I am so sorry for your loss and so happy for your beautiful baby and birth. Your story really touched my heart. Thank you so much for sharing.

Everyday Miracle Doula November 11, 2011 at 11:05 am

Love and light to you all. A perfect remembrance day post from BWF <3

Sherry November 11, 2011 at 11:33 am

Congratulations! He’s absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story. I know a lot of women will draw strength from it.

Jan Verhoeff November 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm

What an amazing birth story! He is blessed to have such a strong Mommy. God speed to you both!

Kendra November 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I thought of this lady’s this morning and began to cry. I wondered how her birth had turned out. I am so happy to read this now! How beautiful! Congratulations!

Kelly Larabie November 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Tasha, thank you for sharing with us. Tank is just precious and I just know that your husband, Nick, is watching over all of you and was with you the entire time.

For any military wives, please know that there is a volunteer doula organization that has been set up to provide military wives a free doula for her birth while your husband is serving our country. It is called Operation Special Delivery.

Brittany November 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm

So beautiful! Congrats on your handsome boy and I pray God blesses all of your family! Thank you for sharing such an inspiring story!

Ashleen November 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm

This is such a great story <3 Thank you to you and your husband.

crystal November 11, 2011 at 5:23 pm

you know what you are someone to admire. first and foremost that you are pulling though such a hard thing. i commend you so much and thank your husband for sacrificing for me and america so that we can have the things we do BECAUSE of them. thank you. the other thing that i totally admire is that you went past 42 weeks!!!!!!!! phenomenal! good for you! were you nervous? how did you have a midwife still take you on? most drop you after 42 weeks. congrats to you and to tank and your family and may God continue to bless all of you ….and i pray that your husband comes to visit you in your dreams until youre together again. God bless you

Tasha November 13, 2011 at 12:07 am

Because my daughter had been 12 days past her EDD and this baby was measuring small, I talked them into moving my due date back 10 whole days so they didn’t have to drop me at 42 weeks. I had to be a little tricky but I know by listening to my instincts both times I saved myself two c-sections. I was just starting to get nervous though, I thought maybe I was having an emotional issue that was stopping me from going into labor but I kept telling myself to trust the timing.

Farrah November 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm

God bless you. You are amazing!

Maria November 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Congratulations, mama! What a great story! :)

Scouthalle November 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm

You are such an inspiration. My husband is deployed right now and I have a 1 & 3 year old. Today I was feeling overwhelmed (to say the least), but reading how heroic you have been at achieving natural childbirth with your husband not at your (physical) side is amazing. You must have made him proud and everyone in your family. Way to be an inspiration and strong for your babies.

Cyber Doula November 12, 2011 at 12:03 am

Oh how beautiful! <3 I've been wondering how you were doing! Thank you for this story. Stay blessed! <3
~Karli

May Paring November 13, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Congratulations to you Mama! Tank is a beautiful baby!
You are such an inspiration!

Jolene November 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! A very big thank you to your husband, and to your family for your service! Thank you will never be enough for the debt we owe to men like your husband, and families like yours! God bless you all!

Sincerely,
An army wife

Kimberly November 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm

He is amazingly beautiful. I am so sorry for the passing of your husband and so happy for you for the birth of your gorgeous baby. My condolences to you mama…

Much love to you and your children –
An US Army Wife

Trishell November 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Congratulations!!!! What a blessing!!!!!

Brige November 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

You have been on my mind since you shared your story, you are such an amazing woman and mother… From one military spouse to another… Thank you for your sacrifice and if you need anything please feel free to contact me, I will do anything I can (b52geary@gmail.com) god bless you! Enjoy your babymoon, and give baby tank lots of love from Minot AFB
Many Blessings
Brigette

Samantha Putnam November 13, 2011 at 10:42 pm

God Bless you and baby Tank.

Liarna November 14, 2011 at 3:17 am

thanks you so much for posting. I’m literally in tears after reading this. I remember your story from before, but reading about the birth sort of brought it to life. I tried joining the Aust. Navy but can’t for medical reasons, but i often forget the sacrifices those that are defending us and those left behind make, no matter where your from. Your such an insperasion. may God continue to bless you and your littlies. he’s gorgeous and you should be so proud.
God Bless, Liarna

Bethany November 14, 2011 at 7:05 am

So happy for you! Glad everything went well and fast. So sorry for your loss, but thank you for giving him up for MY freedom. God bless you and baby Nicholas.

Pamela May 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

What a great story. May God always be with you and fill your lives with many blessings.

Sherry May 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Congratulations Mama.
Good work.
Here’s to the wellness
of your thriving family.
Live fully!

Hannah May 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm

tears. so proud of you mama. thank you, thank you, thank you.

candice August 18, 2012 at 12:23 am

what a wonderful and heart warming story. He is going to be proud to know his daddy was a hero. Brought tears to my eyes.

Kathryn August 18, 2012 at 12:35 am

Congratulations Mama! He’s beautiful, and I’m sure that your husband was with you every step of the way. I just love his name!

Pamela August 18, 2012 at 11:31 am

This brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations from one military wife to another. I’n sure your husband was there beside you.