I Am Strong…Twins {Sarah}

by Birth Without Fear on March 20, 2013

I am strong because I achieved a natural birth of twin girls at 37 weeks, 5 days, in the OR of a hospital.  My pregnancy was a shock, but I was thrilled that I would finally have the opportunity to have a home birth after two previous hospital births.  When we discovered that it was twins, I learned it was illegal for a midwife in our state to attend a birth of multiples.  I switched doctors numerous times, fought “hospital policy”, scare tactics, constant pushes for intervention, and flat out rudeness and lack of support.

After an 11 hour labor, a labor so much harder and more intense than my others, my girls were born… absolutely surrounded by nurses and doctors, my doula on one side of me and my husband on the other.  At 10:23 p.m., my sweet baby Nora made her appearance, weighing in at 6 lb, 6 oz.  I pulled her up to my chest, and with next to no assistance from me, she latched on to nurse.  Six minutes later, as the doctor mentioned cutting the cord, Molly arrived, my beautiful, tiny girl, weighing 5 lb 1 oz.  I helped pull her up onto my stomach as Nora nursed the whole time!

IMG_0343

IMG_0356

I was wheeled out of the OR about an hour later with my girls in my arms.  I spent the rest of the hospital stay with nurses coming in to see me over and over, wanting to know if it was true that I had a natural twin birth in the OR.  It wasn’t my ideal birth, but it was a huge victory and I am so proud that I did it.

This picture is of me tandem nursing my girls for the very first time – about an hour and a half after they were born.
IMG_0429
IMG_0460
They are now nine months old, sweet as can be, and nursing is still going strong!

IMG_031513

Molly March 20, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Beautiful story!

Amanda March 20, 2013 at 4:03 pm

This is such a sweet story! You go Mama!! Your babies are beautiful!

amanda March 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Amazing story! Your girls are so beautiful <3

Lindsie March 20, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Great story and 2 beautiful little girls :)

Angela March 20, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I am planning a hospital birth for my twins after having 3 homebirths (plus 3 previous hospital births). Not what we planned but I trust that it will be a beautiful vaginal birth. :) You inspire me to stay true to my desires and continue on fighting for my girls and myself.

Amanda March 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Your twin birth sounds nearly identical to my own! It was well worth the fight. Congrats on your beautiful babies. Being a twin mum is great:)

serenity March 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Absolutely gorgeous.

Stephanie-jean March 20, 2013 at 4:20 pm

You go mama! Your little ladies are absolutely darling :D

Mae Redmond March 20, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Awesome!! Congratulations mama!

Tricia March 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You did awesome, Sarah!

christy March 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

Congrats on the beautiful girls, and the wonderful hospital birth. We need more of these!!!

I was just told that I’ll have to “push” my twins out in the OR. I agreed, but told her that I refuse to get on “that bed” and I’d be in whatever position was best at the time. Did you get to choose your position once in the OR?

Sarah March 21, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hi Christy! Congratulations on expecting twins! The OB was definitely a little pushy about putting me in stirrups. To be honest, I had every intention of moving into a totally different position, but I was so exhausted at that point that I didn’t feel like going anywhere. I sat up as much as possible to push, though.

I say push however you want to push! If they have a problem with it, well…tough! ;)

Best of luck to you!

Lisa March 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Wow I can’t believe it is illegal there for a midwife to deliver twins, or that you had to fight to get a natural birth!!! I am in New Zealand, and it is perfectly fine for a midwife, and it was my choice to have a natural birth, although it nearly was a c section, due to one being transverse, up until the week before I went into labour. I was meant to go up to the Operating Theatre, for just in case, but there was no time. I went into labour at 8.30pm, got to hospital at 9.30pm, and Johanna, my first was born at 10.20, with Kaitlyn 20 minutes later. Isn’t amazing how different countries treat twin births! And your girls are beautiful!

Andrea March 22, 2013 at 12:55 am

You are awesome!

Cara (Twinthusiast) March 22, 2013 at 9:17 am

Congratulations – what a great story! I also delivered my twin girls vaginally (in an OR following an epidural) and ended up tandem breastfeeding for 15 months. I like to share this not because I think I’m better than other moms of multiples who had a different experience (I’m certainly not!) but because it’s so great to be encouraged and reminded that these things are possible with the right medical professionals, circumstances, and encouragement. Congrats on your beautiful little ones!

Bhbh September 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Aww such wonderful little girls u have had