A Difficult Birth {Painful, Unsupportive Midwives and a Retained Placenta}

by Krystal Cleaver on January 19, 2014

At 41 weeks I went in for my checkup and to schedule to be induced, or so I thought. I was told to go home after sitting there for half an hour with a fetal heart monitor on because my baby was in a posterior position. This was the 3rd due date they had given me and I was starting to get annoyed. I cried on the phone to mum thinking I would be pregnant forever!

At 40 weeks and 3 days (or what we thought was) I was so tired so I just slept all day. This was Mother’s Day. At about 8pm I got a sudden urge to clean, so I did. New sheets, clean bathroom and organized the wardrobe for the 4th time in almost 3 weeks. At 11:30 pm I turned off the tv and rolled over in bed and I thought I had wet the bed. I woke my partner up and rushed down stairs to tell my mum.. I was so nervous and scared!

I called my midwife who said it could take anywhere up to 48 hrs from then to have our baby.. I was not excited about that. I went upstairs showered and made sure I was packed. Contractions started at about 1 am. They were bearable for now. At 3 am I had enough and called my midwife back, I couldn’t talk on the phone so my partner had to and she said to labour as much as possible at home and take some Panadol. Panadol for contractions… I don’t think so! They got worse and worse and finally at 5.30 am I was allowed to go into hospital.

I got there and instantly felt better. Contractions slowed down and I was able to rest a bit.. Then they got worse, horrible. I thought that had to be it, baby was on his way! My midwife said they weren’t strong enough and they’re going to send me home with high pain killers to rest or I can have an internal and stay in maternity, of course I wasn’t going home! Turns out I was 4 cm dialated and it was just starting.. Baby was still in a posterior position and it was sure a back labour!

I labored for 5 more hours in so many different positions and by 10.30 I was ready to push, I hardly remember it, the morphine and gas was going to my head. I felt so sick and wanted to sleep and cry. I couldn’t push anymore and finally at 11.13 am he came.. It was amazing, he’s such a perfect little boy.

I thought it was over and all I had to do was push out the placenta.. 10 minutes or so passed and no placenta so I was given the needle to speed it up. I do not remember saying yes to it! Still no placenta half an hour later. The doctor was called in and I was to to put my legs up on the stirrups. They did if for me and I was left like that for what felt like forever. The doctor came back and confirmed I had a 3rd degree tear and that she needed to get the placenta out. She said we could go into the operating room or do it here here, that it was up to me. And if we did it here then I could have the gas. I wasn’t going into surgery!

That was the worst experience of my life, I felt so violated, she didn’t pull it out by the cord, she went in and scraped it out with her hand and it hurt so much more then birth! They expected me to hold my new baby through all that and stay still while they were detaching the placenta from my uterus wall with their hand. She was annoyed when I wriggled and I was told to keep still. No way! Finally I was stitched up and the catheter was left in for a couple of hours.

We were given cold meals from lunch an hour before hand and told there’s a cafe downstairs if we’re hungry. Of course we hadn’t eaten since the day before or slept either. At 4pm I was finally allowed into the maternity ward and I could see family. At home I researched why my placenta had to be removed by hand and discovered that some ladies can’t have another pregnancy as it damages their uterus wall. I’m hoping this isn’t the case because we’re hoping for another baby one day soon! All I can hope is next time my birthing experience is much more enjoyable and I don’t feel so pressured!

Rachael's birth story


{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: