Ask any pregnant woman if people have made unnecessary comments, given unsolicited advice or just been plain rude and I guarantee you will get a loud YES!
After asking this question on the Birth Without Fear Facebook page, I came up with a top 10 list. This is to help all of you think twice before you speak. Remember, birth is beautiful and so is the pregnant mama. Treat her with kindness and respect. If you can’t do that, just remember, we are allowed to be hormonal. Don’t mess with us!!!
Here we go!
10. After mom has her baby, “You look like you have another one in there.”
9. “You ready to pop yet?” No, but I might pop you!
8. “You are crazy/brave. Just wait. You’ll want the epidural.”
7. “When are they going to induce? When are you due? They are going to let you go that far?” People, babies need to birth when they are ready! Leave them alone already!
6. Implying mom is too big or too small with comments like “Wow, you are really giving up your body, huh?” or “You don’t even look pregnant.”
5. Mentioning anything to do with population control, because you are proving we might as well begin with you.
4. Anything about babies dying. Really?!? Way to be positive.
3. “Don’t you know how THAT happens?” or “Have you ever heard of birth control?” Idiots.
2. “You guys are like rabbits.” Jealous much?
1. And the number one thing to never say to a pregnant mama is “Are you sure there aren’t twins in there?” Automatic fail!