The Heart Shaped Placenta

by Mrs. BWF on February 2, 2012

Placentas are on my mind. Why you ask? Well, this will explain it and this will show you how rad placentas are. I agree that placentas can be a little ‘gross’ to look at if you can’t handle looking at blood or any other human organ. That’s what it is…a life sustaining organ that is essential to our development and survival!

Then Rachel sent me an email with this, “Its the coolest placenta I’ve ever seen. It was perfectly heart shaped. She was over 2 weeks late with her 6th child and her placenta still looked perfect and healthy!”

If this doesn’t capture the pure beauty of what the placenta stands for, nothing will.

New! I was recently sent  in a few more pictures a rare, heart shaped placenta!

This one belongs to Cassia…

claire February 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

that is perfect. love these pictures over the past couple days :)

Sara February 3, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I was over two weeks late with my 6th child. The midwives were amazed at how huge my placenta was and how very healthy it looked. I suppose, when growing a 10 lb 6 oz baby, one needs a nice fat healthy placenta. I wish someone had taken a picture of mine. Crazy, but true. It was remarkable. :)

Angie L. February 3, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I witnessed a heart shaped placenta! And got to examine it and encapsulate it. It was pretty cool.

Shelley February 4, 2012 at 6:27 am

Oh WOW! This made me so excited!
I love placentas!

Shelly cooper February 4, 2012 at 6:51 am

My daughter has a heart shaped placenta. We did a lotus birth. It was lovely. <3

indy March 12, 2012 at 12:16 am

My baby was born 5 weeks ago in a home birth and we had a heart shaped placenta. I think they look gross but I think the function of placentas are so great and important for life, that it really doesnt matter their look. My family burried it in our backyard, we felt throwing it away in the trash can was not right.

Rebecca Binford June 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I had a heart shaped placenta and my cord was attached only by membrane and I can’t recall what they called this. There is a name for it? Hmm. Anyway, I had a very traumatic home birth transfer (not related to the placenta) but clearly i never had the ability to research this until now, much more spiritually healthy – less heart broken state.

Mary-Anne August 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I too had a heart shaped placenta for my son. I had a very peaceful home water birth.

carri barnes December 19, 2012 at 7:27 am

I found out I was pregnant last December with our second child. I was told that I should end the pregnancy as there was only a 10% chance I would carry the baby full term. On August 6, 2012 I had a csection, our little girl was born and my placenta was heart shaped. My doctor thinks she is a out right miracle!