Three Natural Births in Beautiful Australia

by Svea Boyda-Vikander on January 8, 2013

Michelle Powell from Bulli, NSW Australia, writes about the births of her three children:

I had my first precious daughter Kalani totally drug free in the hospital just one hour after arriving, having laboured as long as possible at home for a few hours. I was so fortunate to be allowed into a midwifery group program here in Australia. It is a FREE program for low risk pregnancies were you have your own midwife who does all prenatal appointments. And when you go home she comes to visit at home for the next two weeks! I couldn’t believe my luck when I was assigned the wonderful Ceri. We built such an amazing relationship.

When we found out I was pregnant again I called Ceri who put me straight on her list. My first pregnancy and labour were so wonderful I looked so forward to it when pregnant with my second daughter Talara and couldn’t wait for the empowerment of it all again!Unfortunately I came up strep B positive so home birth was not an option and in the end Talara decided to come just over three weeks early on Easter Sunday. Her being premature would have also prevented it. But she was another amazing and fast drug free labour.

Then the day I found out I was pregnant with my third bubba I very excitedly called Ceri informing her of the news! On my first appointment I told her how determined I was to have my home birth. So as the ending weeks drew near she had me on a regime of pro-biotics and garlic tablets and this time I tested negative and made it past the 37 week mark! I was just so excited that we were on track for our home birth!!!!!!!!!!!

Our son came 11 days early. My husband had come off night shift to me telling him that today was the day. I ordered him to bed knowing I would be needing him later. And with the close and caring watch of my now two and four year-old daughters, I began my labour until I called my MIL to come and get them. I felt that I wasn’t concentrating enough on my labour for it to really begin. After she left I jumped in the bath and my husband woke up to check on me. Then it really kicked in so I called Ceri to let her know it was nearly time (I had called her earlier to let her know to be ready). I went out onto our deck where the birds and butterflies were flittering around and the sheep and horses were grazing. It was pure bliss! I did all my labouring here with Ceri only checking on me a few times. In between contractions my hubby and I were laughing and chatting, it was just so relaxing. When I tell my friends that they call me crazy.

When I felt the urge to push I went inside to the area Ceri had prepared on the living room floor, and 10 minutes later I was holding my son!

Within an hour my girls came home to meet their new brother, Diesel. It was as if he had been there all along – it was such an easy transition. Ceri came for the next few days then every second or third day after that for the next two weeks.

I just can’t say enough positive things about this program and try to encourage my friends to go through it as well. My best friend did and also had Ceri for her two children. However, as strongly as I feel about drug-free, natural births, I also respect my friends’ and others’ birth choices. I realise that I am blessed to be able to have my babies the way I choose and that not every woman is as fortunate as I! I just love telling them my story and how amazing birth can really be, especially to first timers.

I am currently persuading my hubby to let us bring just one more babe into the family and if I get my way (which, just quietly, I’m sure I will) I will be planning another home birth. I can’t wait!

TulaDoula January 8, 2013 at 9:23 am

What a lovely story and beautiful family! Congratulations to you mama.

Vita January 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm

So inspirational!!!! I’m glad I’ve read it, now I know with the next pregnancy I’ll embark on pro-biotics and garlic “diet” :) Very encouraging to see someone who tested strep B negative, didn’t know it could be done!

Amanda January 8, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Wow, you look after giving birth like you just got home from vacation! Empowering story, beautiful family!

MARIA January 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm

uauuuu…. this is just incredible!!!!! amazing story….
me, who had a extremely painful, long and scary-to-death labor with my lovely little boy, wish i could experience one day a bit of this!!!!!
congrats!!!!

Brigit January 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm

What a gorgeous setting for a beautiful birth! Congratulations!

Sarah Tapp February 2, 2013 at 8:24 pm

This is so beyond awesome! I am a student midwife at the hospital that Ceri works at and I am so excited hearing good things about the awesome MGP program there. I’m also very biased, but what an AWESOME part of the world to homebirth in, I live about 10 minutes from Bulli ;)

Miss B February 3, 2013 at 1:12 am

I live in Australia, what was the name of the program…? I have never heard of it wish I had :D

Sarah February 3, 2013 at 4:57 am

At this particular hospital it’s called MGP (midwifery group practice) but at other hospitals its sometimes called caseload midwifery. A few of the public hospitals throughout Australia have started these awesome, but high demand schemes. What I’d advise you to do is call up some of the public hospital antenatal clinics in your area and ask if they run a Midwifery Group Practice program. If you need to explain it, it’s where you see one midwife throughout your pregnancy and she is on call for your birth, some of the hospitals offer homebirths through this program as well. A couple of things, they can be high demand so hard to get a spot. Also they tend only accept low-risk women. But it can be an excellent way of getting continuity of care with a MW and a homebirth for FREE! :)

RM. March 28, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Here it’s called the CMP (Community Midwifery Program) and it’s awesome!! I was rejected due to complications but it’s entirely Government funded if you do get accepted :-)

Jessie - Rabid Little Hippy February 6, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I too live in Australia and had my 3rd baby at home. It was through the Sunshine Hospital in Melbourne and it was wonderful. I too am hoping to talk hubby into number 4 in a few years time and will definitely home birth again. It’s amazing. Your story is wonderful and your amazing view whilst labouring must have made it all so much more wonderful. I was strep B for number 2 but opted not to test for number 3. I didn’t do the probiotics and garlic but we were watchful of Orik once he arrived and kept a close eye.

Kelly February 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Beautiful, You have a beautiful family and I am also working on my hubby for #3. I hope to have a natural birth hoping for home but that will depend on my body. Preterm #1 and with #2 Pre-E and er induction but other then that everything went as planned. Here is to praying fr #4 for you.

Sandy March 25, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Wonderful story of your beautiful natural births. Continuity of care is so important for a pregnant mum. Wonderful that this model of care is being rolled out in our Health System in Australia. meantime, for those women who are unable to access this, their is also the option of a doula who also provides Continuity of Care throughout pregnancy, during labour, and after the babies birth.

Jerusha Welborn July 8, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Fantastic! I am so glad you were able to have your homebirth! I had both of my babies at home and plan to have more home births in the future. Like you, I respect the choices other women make for their births, and I hope every woman is able to have the birth she truly wants!

Michelle May 29, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Your story is so inspiring! Makes me want to have another baby and my daughter is only 7 months old!
I live in the same area and also went through the MGP (I had Michelle & Rachelle).
It’s such a wonderful program, I wish everyone could experience it!

Bek @ Just For Daisy May 29, 2014 at 8:52 pm

So blessed to have been part of the MGP too! :) Such beautiful births! Congratulations!!

Michelle Powell June 11, 2014 at 6:58 am

I love looking back at this!! I have since had a 4th babe also at home with my same midwife Ceri. And funnily enough Sarah helped, who commented I this post before I even knew her!! I have 3 girls and one boy all perfect!!