Family Dog Protective of Twin Newborns

by Mrs. BWF on January 26, 2012

“These pictures are of our black lab Onyx sitting observantly and protectively after the girls were born. Onyx was calm and concerned and totally interested!” ~Kristy

The twins, Olivia Grace 6 lbs 10 oz – 18 1/2 inches long and Kamille Johanna also 6 lbs 10 oz – 18 inches long. Both girls were born at home at 38 weeks, 25 minutes apart. Labor start to finish was 3 1/2 hours! Amazing!

Shannon January 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

This is so precious.

Jessie Hill January 26, 2012 at 10:33 am

awwwww! reminds me of our family dog when I was a child – such love xx

Kelley January 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

So beautiful, I find it even more beautiful how they are twins and yet so different!

Tanya January 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’ve always wanted twins & am hoping I’m not too old to still have them. I have a Doberman who has always been this way w/ our newborn babies, born at home. Just like this Lab, he wants to be w/ them, sniff them, make sure they are safe & protected! If my baby would cry, he would come running to see what was wrong. It is beautiful to watch!

Steph January 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Wow-This picture is amazing! Awesome job Mama on your at home birth! You are Amazing! :) Beautiful babies!

Kristy Goff January 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

@Tanya, I’ve actually heard that age is factor in increased incidences of conceiving twins :) Also, taking a folic acid supplement as well (I don’t know the absolute behind that one, however, I was taking a folic acid supplement in addition to my prenatal vitamin when my husband and I conceived these precious girls?) So maybe :) Good luck!

KaShan January 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I love this. Our dogs were quite concerned when we had our twins too. I didn’t let them in for a while though, but when I did they loved them!! Our twins were born at home too. They weighed 8.1 and 8.3 and were 20 inches long. They were 1.25 hours apart and my whole labor lasted 4 hours and 22 mins. It was amazing!!

Farah Rains January 26, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Yay – Onxy, Oliva, and Kamille! I had the amazing opportunity to be Kristy’s doula for the birth of her beautiful baby girls! Onxy knew that something major was happening and he was great. Very calm and ready to protect.

Ana January 26, 2012 at 8:22 pm

So sweet : )

I have an adorable picture from my son’s first day home.. He was sleeping in his bassinet next to my bed, and my dog was stationed in front of it, looking up at it, watching over him. So sweet… It’s amazing how well some pets accept new babies into their brood and love them as instantaneously as we do.

Now that he’s 17 months old, the love is.. not diminishing.. just less enchanting, as he tries to ride her like a horse and pulls her jowls into funny faces… Thankfully, she’s patient as ever : p

Kristy January 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Kashan that is awesome! Twins are super great! Yes, Farah was so incredible during my homebirth! Doula’s are an absolute necessity for a birthing momma, in my opinion :)

Sherry January 31, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Congratulations on the beautiful girls! My twins were also born at home at 39 weeks. :)

Kathryn January 31, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I don’t think I have ever seen anything so beautiful!