A VBA2C Home Birth Transfer to Hospital, Waters Broken and Stall in Labor

There are so many things I want to write about when it comes to my pregnancy and birth. I think a lot of these things are keeping me from finishing my birth story. I created a document for it the night Maris was born, and I’ve been picking away at it for the past almost 6 weeks, but it just doesn’t flow quite right – just yet.

The one thing I wanted to share is that I began this journey with very few expectations. I expected to have a much more positive experience and I expected to have excellent midwifery care. Those were probably the best expectations I could have had going into labor.

It will surprise many in my circle, but I have no real regrets or hard feelings about how things turned out. Because I allowed myself to have no expectations for labor and birth – I was able to go with the flow and course of events. Had I created expectations for my birth I would probably be an emotional mess over how things actually turned out. I had hopes and aspirations. I hoped for a home, water birth. I hoped for a smooth and peaceful labor journey. But more than anything I desired a healthy baby and to be healthy myself.

It’s been a long journey. It started with an elective c-section for my daughter’s birth, continued with a repeat c-section for my son’s birth and ended with a vaginal birth after two c-sections. We planned a home, waterbirth. But anyone who is a parent can tell you that planning things can be dangerous! Life rarely goes as planned and God’s design for my life is often different from what I think needs to happen.

In the end I couldn’t be happier with the end result. It just took a while to get there!

I can’t remember what woke me up Wednesday morning, it may have been my cat Azzie. She usually sleeps with me, but as my pregnancy progressed I was less tolerant of her attempts to cuddle with me at night. She would usually get the hint, but that morning she was insistent on laying right next to me. I was laying on my side when I felt an odd sensation – it wasn’t a pop, more like a tiny gush. I reached down and felt a little bit of moisture, but dismissed it due to the increasing juiciness one experiences in the later stages of pregnancy. However, about 5 minutes later I had that weird feeling again and decided to get up and go to the bathroom and see what was up. I slid towards the end of the bed and stood up and felt the “pop” as my water broke. Stepping over the puddle soaking into my carpet – I made it to the toilet and sat down. My pajama pants were soaked, but it was clear and I was thankful for that.

I called to Michael to bring me a towel. He was in a pretty deep sleep and it took a minute or two for it to register with him why I needed the towel. I found a pad and put on the fresh underwear and pants Mike brought me and climbed back into bed. I had paged my midwife when I was in the bathroom, along with my doula and chiropractor.

Laying there, I experienced a range of emotions. I was excited but also in disbelief that this really was it. I was a tiny bit scared because I knew there was no turning back, as well. Mike, on the other hand, was riding the adrenaline wave. He got up and started setting things up. He blew up the birth tub, put down the padding and plastic sheeting. He created a “splash zone” where he taped plastic up the wall. Christy and Larissa gave him a hard time about that one!

After talking with my midwife and the rest of my birth team, I decided to take a shower. I wanted to at least have nice hair in the pictures – LOL. I felt calm and peaceful, while my husband experienced the frantic craziness of emotions. I have to say that he accomplished much while he was riding that wave of adrenaline!

My contractions were coming every 5-7 minutes and lasting about 60 seconds each time. I embraced each one as it came and thought only positive thoughts. While I was in the shower they seemed to pick up a bit and I enjoyed the feeling of the water pounding on my lower back.

Christy arrived while I was in the shower and Mike seemed much more relaxed after she was in the house. Larissa came in next, followed by Angela. The atmosphere was joyful and excited. I rushed around the house getting the kids up, fed, dressed and ready to go to their school activities. I was thankful it was Wednesday and not only did Wyatt have preschool, but Maddie had her Classical Conversations class until noon. This gave me some much needed quiet time.

While I was in the shower Mike had blown up the birthing tub and put the plastic down underneath it. I laughed when I saw his splash zone – he taped the plastic sheeting midway up the walls. There were lots of laughs about just how water would splash up that high during labor or birth!

As I was running around taking care of last minute details – my contractions all but stopped. It was almost like I put them on hold. After the kids got off to school and we all enjoyed breakfast (scrambled eggs with spinach and salsa and cinnamon rolls) – we settled in to wait. I remember that Christy and Larissa were knitting up a storm, trying to finish up their baby projects. Larissa was making a beautiful cotton, rainbow blanket for the baby and Christy was working on a pair of baby leg warmers.

The conversation was light and comical. If anything we were going to laugh ourselves to a baby – that was certain. Every so often I would have a nice, strong contraction but they just weren’t coming with a force and rhythm that I knew was needed – plus I was on the clock.

Sometime before lunch I talked to Vicki again and she told me that she’d spoken to Dr. Maher and he was willing to give me 18 hours to get labor started and at that point he preferred me to come into the hospital to start IV antibiotics. I remember counting hours and thinking I had until about 11 p.m. before we’d have to transfer…

The day continued and after a rather hot walk that didn’t do much to stir up contractions – we piled on my bed and discussed what the do with the rest of the day. About this time my friend Rebecca stopped by and we decided that we’d all go to lunch at the Thai restaurant. We sent Mike off to drop the dog at my parents’ house and to go to the gym  – he gave me some ridiculous order of what he wanted. It was some custom dish that included veggies, chicken, pork, eggs and pad thai sauce. I told him that Angel (the owner) wasn’t the type to do custom orders. I showed her his requested list and she flat out refused to add the pad thai sauce or eggs to the dish. I had a good laugh about that.

Angela, Larissa, Rebecca, Christy and I had a nice lunch – with nary a contraction. After Becca dropped me off at home, Larissa and Christy took their time coming back – trying to give Mike and I some time to ourselves. But I was antsy and eager to find something to occupy my time and since my water was broken, sex was out of the question. (LOL). Instead I re-booked my hair cut appointment (I cancelled it earlier in the morning when I still thought labor was eminent.) At the very least my hair was going to look good!

I was really missing my kids by this point and decided that after my hair cut was over Mike and I would go pick Maddie up from my parents and bring her back to the house. I wanted Wyatt, too – but he was so needy that I knew it would end up making me crazy.

My friend Liz came by to bring us dinner – a yummy roast she slow cooked all day (that gave Mike HORRIBLE burps later on that evening). We decided to take a long walk and Liz and Maddie joined us for part of it. On the way there I found myself wanting to cuss out a man in a pickup truck who didn’t stop for us to cross the street. Then a woman backed out and moved her car onto the sidewalk where we were walking (and Maddie was riding her bike!). And finally some teenage girl who lives in my neighborhood and drives a huge redneck truck vroomed by and blew her TRAIN horn, nearly scaring Maddie off her bike and us out of our skin!

As Larissa, Christy and I walked around the track at Plew Elementary my contractions started to pick up and once again I started to feel optimistic that maybe things were starting to progress. The sunset was beautiful as we walked and I remember feeling happy. We were expecting Vicki and Nora to come over by 7 p.m. so we started heading back to the house around 6 p.m. I also really had to pee! When we got back to the house I panicked because Mike wasn’t home and I thought he had locked us out  – but thankfully the door was open and I raced to the bathroom!

The kids were at Awanas from 6-8 p.m. and Vicki and Nora arrived about 7:15. I had decided to bake a cake – hoping that spending time in the kitchen would scare up some contractions – it always seemed to work in the past. The house smelled fabulous and I was enjoying the time with my friends – but I knew we were most likely heading to the hospital.

The mood was positive when they arrived – I did my assessment with Vicki and everything looked good – except the fact that my cervix was closed and I wasn’t contracting. I was thinking that we had a little bit of time before we had to head to Baptist. I decided to take a bath to try and relax as the tension was high in the house.

My mom and sister had picked up the kids from AWANAs and my mom was going to run back to the house and pick up some clothes and return shortly to stay with the kids. I was thankful they had arrived from their new home in West Palm Beach – just hours before everything got really crazy.

No sooner had I turned off the water and stretched out in the tub than Vicki knocked on the door and told me we needed to get moving and get up there sooner. She’d already asked my mom to be back at the house within 30 minutes (a surprise to me).

I think this was the most stressful part of the entire experience for me. I like smooth transitions and this transition was anything but smooth. All the preparation we’d done for our homebirth meant nothing at this point and I found myself having to quickly pack a bag for the hospital. I grabbed some pajamas, underwear, my contacts and glasses, a few outfits for the baby, my laptop and chargers and my favorite blanket. Looking back – there were several other things I wish I had packed, but I survived on the barest of creature comforts. Thankfully I’d just gotten my hair washed and cut so I didn’t have to worry about washing my hair (so it didn’t matter I had no shampoo/conditioner or even a hairbrush!). I also forgot to pack deodorant, slippers, lotion and any kind of bra. Thankfully Mike saved me the day we went home – but I’m getting ahead of myself!

As I raced around the house throwing things in my suitcase, I became super emotional. I wasn’t upset necessarily about having to go to the hospital – but I was upset at the lack of time to explain things to my children. Maddie and Wyatt had been shuffled from house to house during the day and now they were home and happy to have their Mimi – but upset that Mommy and Daddy were leaving.

Now I had talked to them throughout my pregnancy about our plans to have the baby at home, but also spent a lot of time discussing the fact that if something didn’t go right and I needed more help to have the baby that we’d have to go to the hospital. I felt that I’d spent a lot of time preparing them for whatever scenario. But none of that mattered at that point – they were distraught.

Maddie was crying because she wouldn’t get to cut the cord. Wyatt was crying because he was overtired and didn’t want his mommy to leave. My mom was back and we were ready to go – I was crying, Maddie was crying, Wyatt was crying, Mike wasn’t crying but he wasn’t smiling either.

We finally got out the front door and remembered something that we’d forgotten. Christy ran back to grab it and reported that the kids had already settled down.

On the drive to the hospital, Mike and I talked about the course of the day and what was  to come. I sent a few text messages out (even though I’d been ordered to stay off my phone by Christy and Larissa – yeah right!). I didn’t update everyone – I wasn’t in the mood. I tried to process what was happening. I was frustrated that my body didn’t seem to be working right. I felt dysfunctional.

We arrived at the hospital, meeting Vicki and Nora in the parking lot. Christy and Larissa were behind us on the interstate, but they got lost once they got into Pensacola. They ended up parking somewhere far away from the ER (where you had to enter at night) and walked around outside the hospital trying to find a way into the building!

I will say that our transition into the hospital was incredibly smooth. They were expecting me and Dr. Maher had left his orders. We walked up to the nurses station and they told us which labor suite we were going into and so started my hospital birth experience.

My nurse for the night was Ashton. She seemed young to me. She was relatively new to the L&D floor I believe. Despite her quiet nature, she was very sweet and a capable nurse. I remember that she numbed my vein for my IV and how nice that was! She checked me – My cervix was <1 cm, 80% effaced and -2 station (which Vicki said was generous). It was almost midnight.

She started the pitocin at 1, explaining that they’d turn it up once an hour. I asked her about taking something to help me sleep. I’d been up since 5 a.m. that morning and I was starting to lose steam. I knew I was facing an uphill battle and would need my energy. After considering my options I decided on an Ambien – hoping to get at least 4 hours of sleep. Vicki and Nora left to get some rest and told me to call if I needed them.

Shortly after that I started to get sleepy and Christy and Larissa left the room to scope out a place to rest.

Mike and I slept for a few hours and I remember waking up with some uncomfortable contractions. I was pretty disoriented at first – I knew I was in the hospital, but my concept of time was really off! For one, I didn’t realize that Larissa and Christy had hung around for a few hours before heading back home to Niceville. It was an hour drive – so they got home between 3 and 3:30 a.m. It was about 4 a.m. when I woke up from the contractions. I tried to breathe through a few – but felt very limited in my ability to move and change positions in the bed. Mike was snoring loudly and I knew he needed his rest in order to support me later so I tried to manage on my own.

I think I first texted Christy and Larissa around 4:30 a.m. I heard back from Larissa right away. She was nursing Lucja and trying to get her settled. She told me she’d just gotten home and I felt bad about texting her! Christy was dead asleep and never returned my text.

After much effort I was able to rouse Mike – but at first he didn’t do so well. I think it was the adrenaline of “this is really happening” mixed with lack of sleep – but he was physically sick for a while. I also think it was because his support team was no longer there and he really relaxed when they were present. Around 6 a.m. I called and woke Christy up – feeling horrible for her lack of sleep, but I really needed her to come back.

At some point between the phone call to Christy and her arrival – my nurse came in and we changed over to the telemetry monitoring so I could move freely. This made a huge difference and Mike and I took to the halls – dragging my monstrous infusion contraption along the way. I walked, squatted, leaned over the nurses station, dangled from Mike’s neck – I tried to use all the positioning techniques I’d learned about. Mike was great – rubbing my back, dragging the IV pole thing, encouraging me every step of the way.

We went back to the room after a while (actually we were back and forth a lot so I could use the bathroom frequently). At this point I found the most comfort on my knees leaning over the end of the bed. We took the cushion from the fold-out bed that Mike slept on and I used that under my knees. I remember putting my headphones in and turning on my music at that point. Looking back I wish I would have listened to my music more during labor. There were two songs that really moved me during my pregnancy – both sung by Mindy Gledhill. “I will rest in you,” and “What heaven sees in you” are songs that literally bring me to my knees – they’re my prayers to God. As I listened to them, the tears were streaming and I felt myself give into my body just a little bit more. I lost myself in the music for quite a while and at some point I looked up and Christy was there.

Melissa was my daytime nurse – she told me she had been a doula before ever going to nursing school and this brought me peace.

Dr. Maher came in shortly after that and checked me. After 9 hours of pitocin my cervix was still closed! Not for long though. I’m thankful he didn’t tell me what he was going to do before hand, but the pain was intense.

“You’re 4 cm now!” he proclaimed as I wiped away my tears and drew a ragged breath.

He explained that there was scar tissue keeping my cervix closed and that after he broke through it I dilated to 4 cm easily. Everyone in the room cheered at the progress. Vicki called to check in and I updated her. She told me she had appointments during the day but would be by later in the day to check on me.

Dr. Maher stayed to talk with us for a few minutes. He explained that as long as I continued to progress at a reasonable rate he would continue to let me labor – barring any other complications like fever or fetal distress. I remember asking him if he would be ok with me getting in the shower since I knew that I probably wouldn’t be allowed in the tub since my water was broken and for so long. His reply was “You can do any of that nuts and berries stuff that Melissa is willing to do.” This made us all laugh!

“Oh and I refuse to deliver a baby in the shower,” he added.

He left for his office and the mood in my room was much more upbeat and hopeful.

At this point between the progress of dilation and turning up the pitocin some more – my contractions started to become more intense.
I’m not completely sure what Mike and Christy were up to – I was obviously in laborland, but there were some funny pictures on my camera around this time. Something about Mike taking pictures and Christy making funny poses while she was doing counter pressure on my back during contractions.

Details are a little fuzzy but at some point before the pictures the nurse Melissa put me in the low-Fowler’s position in the bed (sitting up with knees bent and feet touching). She told me she wanted me to hurt – because that meant the contractions were doing something. She was right – they hurt worse. At this point I wanted to be anywhere but in that bed!

After the required 10 minutes in the bed ( I swear it was much longer than that) – Melissa let me get up and move around. I probably could have walked some more, but the contractions were fairly intense and I wanted the privacy of my room. I spent a lot of time on my knees, leaning over the edge of the bed while Mike and Christy took turns rubbing my back. Unfortunately every time I leaned over, the fetal heart rate monitor would slip off and we’d lose the heart rate on the monitor. Usually the nurse would let it go for a while and then come back and readjust it. The baby was doing great though – she was moving around and had a strong heart rate.

My nurse came back in to give me some great news – I could get in the tub. She actually  went and looked up their protocols and said that they allowed for women to use the tub after ruptured membranes! All I could think about was how much I wanted to be in the water, but first she made me sit in the bed again so she could get a consistent strip on the baby. (This is when my love/hate relationship for her really started).

I fulfilled my duty to give her a continuous strip on the baby and after gathering all my cords and strings – we made our way into the bathroom where a glorious tub of hot water awaited me. It took me a while to get into the tub – but once I sat down I was in heaven.

Until Melissa told me I had to lean back in there. It made my contractions so intense. My tailbone hurt, my hips hurt – I had a horrible stitch in my ribs… She brought me a plastic stool to press my feet against since I was of “short stature.” I started to hate the bath tub at this point.

Once she left I changed positions – The only place that felt good was on my knees. Melissa came in once again and said I was going to have to get out of the tub and back into the bed. I was distraught. I understood their need to monitor me more closely, but it was starting to make it difficult for me to cope through contractions because the only positions that brought me relief were ones that caused the monitor to fail at its job. I remember asking her if she could use a handheld doppler to check her heartrate – even suggesting at one point that she just sit there and hold a doppler on me continuously if it meant I could stay in the tub on my knees.

She didn’t go for it.

At about 12:20 she checked me again – I was still at 4 cm, but 90% effaced and the baby was at -1. I was frustrated that I hadn’t dilated anymore, but everyone else seemed ecstatic that the baby was moving down – so I decided to be happy about that, too. I was still in the tub.

Unfortunately my moments in the tub were about to end – after some discussion about an intrauterine pressure catheter, which would confine me to the bed completely – I hit a mental and physical wall. I was tired, I was frustrated and honestly I was about ready to give up. I knew if I had the IUPC that I wouldn’t be able to get on my knees or move around and that my time would be limited because my pain tolerance was already going downhill each time they cranked up the pitocin.

I asked for an epidural. Actually what happened was I said if they were going to do an IUPC I would want an epidural. And then 5 minutes later I sent Mike to the nurses station to ask her to go ahead and order it for me.

It wasn’t in my plans – I wanted a “natural” birth. However it also wasn’t in my plans that I have ruptured membranes for 30+ hours at this point, or that I have pitocin – hell I wasn’t even planning to be at the hospital!

However – it was a tool available and it was something I decided on myself. No one suggested it (although I’m sure they were thinking about it).

(Did I mention how LONG it took me to get back in the bed? I kept having contraction on top of contraction and I so didn’t want to be in that bed!) – Sometime during my attempts to get back into the bed I mouthed “I HATE YOU” to my nurse’s back. Christy and Mike found this quite hilarious apparently as they laughed at my scowling.

After a bolus of IV fluids my savior (and what a hottie he was, too) walked into the room. Christy called him Dr. McHottie! He was rather nice on the eyes and good with his hands as he placed my epidural in under 5 minutes. He chatted with us for a few minutes as it was taking place – he was impressed at my attempt for a VBAC after 2 prior c-sections and wished me luck. I had a “zinger” down my right side – and he suggested I lay on my left side as much as possible because of this. By 1:30 p.m. I was finally feeling comfortable.

Once I was in less pain I was ordered to take a nap while my husband ran off with my doula to get something to eat (and find something else to stare at other than the crappy artwork on the walls – or something to that effect). I was also ordered to turn my phone off.

I always have trouble listening….

Honestly all I wanted to do was call my mom and check on the kids. I checked with our nanny – who was driving home from college to take over with the kids that afternoon and I texted one or two friends who had sent me texts. “Yes I’m still alive, no baby yet.” Then I turned my phone off and tried to doze…

At 2:30 I was 6 cm and 0 station, making slow but steady progress.

About half an hour later Dr. Maher came in to check on me – he was happy with my progress and said he’d stop in again after clinic hours were over. At this time my midwife, Vicki, came back up to see how things were going as well.

4:30 p.m. – I was feeling lots of pressure and asked Melissa to check me again – 7 cm and 100% effaced. I was also getting very grumpy. I remember being irritated with my midwife (who I love dearly!)  – I didn’t want to be irritated with her – but I was.

Looking back I’m convinced that I was starting to transition at this point – because things started getting rather crazy at this point…  I was still having the weird stitch in my ribs on the left side and then I started feeling pain only on the left side, but it was right on top of my incision scar. Immediately I started having all these negative thoughts in my head. Was my uterus rupturing? Was I going to die, was the baby going to die? I didn’t share any of these thoughts – but they were there.

My nurse and Vicki both showed a lot of concern at this point (5:30 p.m.). We were all thinking the same thing – was it a sign of a rupture? The baby looked great on the monitor – but with each contraction the pain got worse. Melissa called Dr. Maher and they decided to turn the pitocin off (it was up to 14). Both the nurse and my midwife thought my epidural was functioning normally, but Mike and Christy decided to roll me to my left side and see if that helped. Mercifully it did!

The pitocin was off and my contractions spaced out a bit – but I was still contracting regular. My body was working! This made me very happy 🙂

Around 6:10 p.m. Dr. Maher arrived and took a look.

“Well let’s see what you can do,” he said.

“Excuse me? I’m ready to push?” was my approximate response. I was in shock!

Things were happening so fast – people were moving around in a flurry and I distinctly remember shouting that I wanted Mike involved – he was sitting on the pull out bed looking a little bewildered. There was a quick change of positions and he took hold of one of my legs.

I pushed through one contraction and there was a knock at the door. It was Angela.

“Can she come in?” a nurse asked – as several of us shouted “YES!” It was actually funny. It was clearly – “get her in here now!”

Angela has this uncanny ability to show up at just the right moment. I can’t remember if Christy had texted her that it was time – but the fact she walked in at that exact moment was nothing short of a miracle. There was some scuffling around and Angela asked for permission to photograph the entire birth (typically this is against hospital policy – it’s emblazened on the wall!). Dr. Maher said he didn’t care and she started to document the process.

At this point Dr. Maher got up and said I had some work to do to get the baby down and that he was going to be close by and to call him when I was ready.

I was determined – excited and running on full adrenaline. I could feel NOTHING as far as my legs and bottom were concerned – although I could definitely feel the pressure of the baby coming through my pelvis. I worked hard to push, that’s for sure. I was so worried about being ineffective at pushing because of the epidural that I tried extra hard.

It wasn’t long before Dr. Maher was called back in – maybe 10-15 minutes. There was so much excitement in that room. Vicki coached me in my pushing – which was wonderful. She was so encouraging and positive – I’m so thankful that she was there with me even though it was not at home.

Time seemed to stop for a few minutes – no one could get the baby’s heart rate. It was definitely scary. I could feel her moving so I knew she was fine – but Dr. Maher was so not ok with it. It was an electrical problem. They tried two fetal scalp monitors and the leads for both of them didn’t work. Someone ran to another room and tried another cord and that one didn’t work either. The normal corded monitor didn’t work and I could see the concern on Dr. Maher’s face.

Then Vicki grabbed the telemetry monitor and just held it on my belly – I think the sweetest sound was the baby’s heart rate coming out of that speaker. I knew the whole time she was fine, but it was reassuring to say the least.

Even though I couldn’t feel the progress I was making because of the epidural – I could see it in the mirror they positioned. Being able to see the progress with each push was huge for me. I know a lot of people don’t like to look – but I found it amazing. I watched as her head moved so close to crowning.

This was the moment I became super emotional. There’s a picture Angela took of a single tear on my cheek – I was waiting for the next contraction and it was the moment I knew I was actually going to push her out. I remember Dr. Maher saying something about how my changes of a repeat c-section just went out the window because I was going to push this baby out. I started sobbing – from happiness. I was overcome with joy.

I was empowered.

At 6:49, after just over 30 minutes of pushing – Maris Josephine Hinze was born and placed on my belly. I reached down to pull her up closer to my chest and we quickly realized that the cord was a bit short!

The rest of the details are a blur at this point. I remember Mike cutting the cord (boy was he proud of himself!). I remember pulling her up for our first snuggles and how peaceful she was just laying there looking at me. The nurse for Maris was very accommodating with my wishes, but I did allow her to take her for a few minutes (maybe 5 or less) and then she was back on my chest. She latched on for the first time at 7:26 p.m. – like she was born to breastfeed. She nursed for an hour and 10 minutes.

One thing that I remember clearly was that after my placenta arrived there was discussion about it being small and circumvallate (google it) – and that there was a small, partial abruption. I remain incredibly thankful that it didn’t detach further and that God’s hands were on Maris and I during the delivery.

Looking back on the past 10 months I feel so blessed. I had a pregnancy surrounded by support from a community of women who know birth. Having friends like Christy and Larissa (and Angela, Vicki, Shay and a long list of others -) who answered my questions, listened to my worries and fears and encouraged and empowered me as a woman and mother was priceless. I feel like I climbed the Mt. Everest of the birth world – in having a successful vaginal delivery after two c-sections.

I am forever filled with love and gratitude for the women who helped me reclaim that power of being a woman who is strong.

And I could not have accomplished this feat without my husband – who supported my desire to have our baby at home. In the face of adversity and disappointment, he remained my rock of support and encouragement (except for those few moments when he turned pale and had to excuse himself from direct views…). He refused to let me give up – which I was ready to do at a few points. I can honestly say that this experience has brought us closer together and given us a stronger marriage. He’s changed so much as a father and husband through this experience and once again I’m thankful that we’ve been able to share this experience together.

So, was it the birth I wanted? Not exactly. But it was the birth I needed to have.

And so Maris Josephine was born – in a way different from that of her siblings’ entrance into the world. She is a much loved baby – adored by her brother and sister and coddled by her parents.

She will grow up knowing her birth story – and knowing the women who helped her come into this world.

*Photography by Angela at http://indiebluestudios.com/

Maris Josephine Hinze, October 27, 2011
Head: 13.5 inches
Chest 13 inches
APGARS 8/9 (I believe but didn’t get confirmed)
6lbs 15.7 oz
19.9 inches long
Born at Baptist Hospital in Pensacola, FL
Dr. James Maher, OB
Vicki Taylor, LM, CPM


  • Samantha

    What a beautiful story! Congrats to all. Your strength is inspiring– despite things not going as planned or hoped you stayed with it and you did it!

  • jamie

    Congratulations on your successful vbac and birth of your baby girl! Thank you so much for posting your story! I am a new mommy to a baby boy born 9-9-11! We discovered that he was breech when I was 9 cm and I was rushed off for a c-section! Of course i am very thankful my baby boy was born healthy and safe, but i am very disappointed about the c-section! I never imagined that i would have to have one! I had plans for a natural birth! I hope to be able to have a vbac the next time, so your story is very encouraging to me! Thank you!

  • Mickey

    Congratulations! I’m so glad that you both ended up healthy and happy, despite the fact that your birth didn’t go the way you had planned! I’m glad to read your story.

    My birth last year happened almost the exact same way, though it wasn’t a VBAC. My water started leaking before I was in labor. 18 hours in, I had them break the bag fully, which started labor. I labored at the birth center as long as I could, but then they found a band of scar tissue around my cervix which was preventing me from dilating past 1. Baby was +1 at that point. Off to the hospital, where I labored for 3 hours on pitocin, still 2 cm and baby pushing down. Finally got the epidural, then started making progress. Got to deliver vaginally and, like you, was just happy we were all there and healthy!

    That had been my fourth pregnancy, but first living child, so I just felt blessed to have her, and she was absolutely perfect. You just can’t ask for better than that! I am hoping for my natural birth next time around, God willing, but if not, I know I’ll be able to roll with the punches again.

    Congrats again on your beautiful daughter. Thanks for sharing!

  • Amanda

    Dear Anne,
    I am planning a VBA2C as well. And your story gives me so much hope that I can in the hospital and be successful.
    Your daughter is beautiful!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Order the BIRTH WITHOUT FEAR Book at One of the Following Book Retailers!

Amazon • Barnes & Noble • iBooks 

 Google Play • Books-A-Million • IndieBound

***Sign up below for more updates on the Birth Without Fear book!***

We respect your privacy.