Beautiful (Surprise) Breech Home Birth

by Mama Bice on October 9, 2012

My husband and I chose to have our first baby at home with an absolutely empowering midwife. I distinctly remember between my intense contractions hearing my husband Kevin, Leslie our midwife, and her intern Melissa, in our kitchen drinking coffee and softly laughing enjoying good conversation.

I was in the birth tub letting my body bring our little girl into this world and never once did I wish for pain killers or any other assistance. Being alone in the quiet of my room was all I needed and after 18 hours my beautiful daughter, Lilly, was born.

Five short months later we again found out we were expecting! (Crazy close, I know). At 20 weeks we went in for an ultrasound to find out the sex of our baby. Excitedly we planned for a little boy to join our family! As far as we knew baby was head down and ready to go, so when I went into labor this past month neither myself or my midwife expected anything out of the ordinary.

After only three and a half hours I started that much desired point of “pushing” (Ha!). As our baby boy was coming down the birth canal a significant amount of meconium started coming out and I began worrying a little. A friend had recently lost their little boy when he inhaled meconium during his birth. Even with medical help he was unable to fight the infecting and flew up to heaven after only a week.

However, during the last 10 minuets of pushing, Carol (the midwife’s assistant), quietly mentioned… “That’s not a head”.  Many looks were exchanged around the room between all of us for a brief moment as we all realized this little guy at some point had turned! Much to all of our surprise!

Leslie looked me straight in the eyes and simply told me, “It’s alright, you can do this”. So, I did! Rowin Jax came out butt first completely folded in half. His little feet were tucked under his chin and he had the thickest umbilical cord any of us had ever seen. Totally healthy, he did need a little oxygen, but after a few good breaths of that he did just fine.

The full photo montage of the birth – some of the mother’s favorite photos are those in which you can see her husband’s feet on her back for counter pressure.

YouTube Preview Image

Kathryn October 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing something so special……

Tammy Flores October 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Your a beautiful woman, and I hope your lives stay a loving as it appears, forever!!

wendy morlewski October 11, 2012 at 12:11 am

Thank you for sharing your amazing birth story with us!! You did a fantastic job! Congrats on both of your new blessings to you and your husband!

Anne Davies October 11, 2012 at 2:00 am

Congratulations on the birth of your baby and for sharing your amazing birth experience!

Renee October 12, 2012 at 11:08 am

Great recap of your very special birth story, well done!

Tamara Burchell October 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Wow Brenda!

Thanks for sharing the photo collage! Beautiful. I hadn’t heard Jax’s birth was breech. You are my hero!

Brenda Walter October 17, 2012 at 12:20 am

Ha! Hi Aunt Tamara…. How fun to find you on here! Thanks! I must say though, being at a couple of my cousins births at your house is really what solidified my desire for a home birth. Both you and Uncle Rod seamed so calm and sure of what was happening, I saw you trust your body. I wanted that. YOU were my mommy hero.

Rhonda Liebig January 21, 2013 at 9:09 pm

This story is beautifully written. The pics and collage are stunning. With all the home births in the family, you had some pretty awesome role models. You have inspired others already…and that will continue! I love you, Brenda. ~Mom

Shara cunningham January 21, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Aww… That’s awesome, I have a Rohwyn also, it’s a girls so I changed the spelling but love finding others with the same name… Congrats!… & great job mama!…