Supporting Women in All Birthing Choices

by Mrs. BWF on February 9, 2013

It has taken me about a year and a half of blogging to get to a place that I feel I am really doing this and that others see it too. I’ve always had this vision…to passionately share my views about childbirth and inform woman they have choices in how they birth, but not alienate anyone.

You have a few natural birthing communities that freak out at women who have interventions or cesarean sections. They exclaim the mother was not patient enough, strong enough or educated. When a mother shares a loss, they are shunned. Not always because other women want to hurt a loss mom, but because their own fears of loss in childbirth cause them to do so. Then you have ‘mainstream’ communities that say VBACing is dangerous! That if a mother cared for her child she would never birth at home and that home birth is for hippies.

There is a lack of knowledge, understanding and support on both sides. It has taken time, and a lot of criticism on all sides, but I think I am here. I think we are here. I think there is finally a true Birth Without Fear COMMUNITY coming together. A place where we all want to inform women that yes, they have choices in their births! A place that women can get support in the informed choices they do make, even if different from what we would do. A place ALL women can share their stories.

That is not becoming mainstream. That is not people pleasing. That is amazing! In our private support group, a woman announced tonight that she decided to have a repeat cesarean section and was on the way to the hospital to do so. Instead of other women asking her why or criticizing, she has received nothing but an out pour of love, understanding and support. Women share they are educated and informed and having a home birth and even if other women wouldn’t do that, they get support and understanding.

That is amazing.

I’ve had this vision since I started BWF. I have evolved. I have let my guard down. I have been open and communicated more. I have worked on finding a way to not lose my passion or my opinions, but also have more balance. To also support all women. Not every post I do will be for everyone. Not everyone will agree with every post I write or birth story I share. However, there is something for everyone.

I can and will still share different births from breech, to home twin births, to unassisted birth, to midwife assisted home or birth center birth, to hospital birth with midwives or doctors, to cesarean birth. No matter what I feel is best for me (or even you), I still think all birth should be celebrated. I believe all women should be supported.

We can share information, we can educate, we can inform women that they actually have choices. Then we support. When a woman is in labor and gives birth, why criticize? Why say, ‘How dare you share this?!’. It’s done. Having a child is a blessing. A pure and incredible blessing and no kind of birth takes that away.

A woman is beginning her motherhood and it should begin with love all around her. If a woman has a birth she sees as traumatic, no matter what kind of birth it is, give her support. If a woman chooses a different path that you would, remember it is HER journey. When you want to put a woman down, remember that if you want her to come to you with questions, be the person she wants to receive answers from.

Erin April 11, 2013 at 9:01 am

I love all the Birth Without Fear stories and what this blog stands for. However, all of the different stories have gotten me thinking about my own experience. When I was pregnant with my daughter I only ever thought of having a hospital birth. I never even considered other options, because I just wasn’t familiar with them. At 37 weeks through regular testing I found out I was GBS positive. Of course after googling it and reading all of the horrific stories, it sent me into a panic. I was so worried about this so I hammered my OBGYN with questions. One of my biggest fears was what to do if my water broke. My OBGYN said that even thought I had GBS, if my water broke I could remain at home until my contractions were within so many minutes apart.

So to my dismay my water broke at home around midnight at exactly 39 weeks of pregnancy. In my heart I felt like I should go to the hospital right away, which is what we did after contacting the OBGYN. Thankfully I went with my gut and made this decision, because within a couple hours of my water breaking, I developed an infection which they think was chorioamnionitis. So after 17 hours of ups and downs, lots of scares, and being put on pitocin, my daughter was finally born. Because I had GBS, chorioamnionitis, and it took over 17 hours to get her out, the hospital went into precautionary mode with my daughter. They ran lots of tests on her and hooked her up to IVs so that she could get antibiotics. Luckily even though she had to stay in the hospital for 72 hours, she never got sick. Unfortunately this whole experience caused me to have postpartum OCD, which by the way I didn’t even know existed. After struggling with that for over a year, I am finally doing much better with the help of a wonderful CBT therapist.

Now that I see all these wonderful home birth stories it makes me feel somewhat sad. I do not know if we will even have more children, but I feel based on my past, if I were GBS positive again I would have to have a hospital birth for the sake of my unborn child. If I had chosen to stay at home, my daughter may not have survived. I have not yet seen this covered here on the blog. I am curios to hear stories and opinions about how life threatening situations are handled like this with home birth situations. I would also love to see Postpartum anxiety and OCD stories covered as well. It is very different from postpartum depression and I didn’t even know it existed until I had it.

Thank you for an that you do and for empowering women even though their birth choices may not reflect yours.

rebecca carnes August 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Your birth story sounds just like mine. If you need support, feel free to contact me!

lOVE ME LITTLE ONE April 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

i have turned to this page because i lost my 1 pregnincy and it heart alought but after a wile i tryed again and im am happily pregnet omce again and i had so many ? to ask and this site has answered them all and them some

DL May 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Can you start a section for Plus Sized natural births? I don’t want to even begin to describe my experience as a “morbidly obese” patient but in order to avoid a C-section, my only option at the moment is to birth at home. It would be nice to see more stories, or more searchable stories to gain strength from. Thanks!

Rachel b June 9, 2013 at 8:20 am

I LOVE this. Having had a homebirth myself but friends with inductions and csecs that automatically get very defensive around me and family members who believe we were out to harm our precious child by choosing not to have him in the hospital, I truly appreciate your words. I want every woman’s educated choice in birth to be celebrated :)

Brandi Pence June 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

One of my friends shared this on facebook. I’ve been reading since last night and I’m so interested in all the different stories. I’m six months pregnant with my second baby. Seeing all those woman breastfeeding and being close to their babies, it takes my breath away. I experienced a very small amount of that closeness with my daughter, but she was unable to continue breastfeeding. A community of woman being so supportive and there for each other is encouraging. I’ve felt like birth has lost it’s importance and value somehow. It’s been described as a hippie view, but I feel that birth is the best, and craziest thing ever. To think that you are making a human being, a life. That it only takes one person to change the world, or an outcome and that just maybe your baby could be that one person. Also when I look at my daughter I think I created this gorgeous little thing. I am responsible for shaping and molding her into an incredible woman and eventually a mother herself. And it all started in my body. It’s incredible and so is the sense of community. I love the necklaces as well and at some point I’d like to own one before I give birth to my baby girl. I will be reading and keeping up with your blog. Thank you for creating this safe space!

Denise June 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

I appreciate all that you do for women, families, and the birth community in general. I agree that, every woman is not going to make the same choices as I might, but we should support them no matter what. They have been through a journey and it should be honored.

Paula Teakle June 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hear hear! I am a hypnobirthing teacher and I also work in a maternity department as a clinical support worker. Personally I have experienced a forceps birth, an elective c section and a waterbirth VBAC using hypnobirthing and each birth was right for me at that time with the information that I had available to me. I agree that we should not try to impose our personal opinions/experiences on anybody else. Each and every mum, each and every baby and each and every birth is UNIQUE and if we wish to champion women’s ‘choice’ in birth then we must be prepared to respect and support their choice no matter what our own personal beliefs are.

Helen Redfern June 27, 2013 at 4:03 am

Well said. Birth isn’t a competition. Parents make a variety of choices about their birth based on the information that they have at that period in time. That might be for a natural birth, induction or C-Section. Really, who cares how people birth as long as everyone is safe and the parents can look back on their birth experience in a positive way. As a HypnoBirthing teacher, I think it is assumed that I am pro-natural birth. As it happens most of ‘my parents’ do have wholly natural births but what I want for all of them is a good-birth and one of my favourite testimonials is from a mum who had an emergency C-Section. She owned the process and embraced it – and that makes me happy.

Heather Caldwell September 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Someone posted this Page on Facebook and I started reading the stories all the stories are interesting and they show just how strong pregnant women are!! It also helps ppl that are pregnant deal with issues that they maybe having!! I also think it helps ppl that have suffered a loss deal with it or at least get some advice on how to del with it! This is a very Good page!! Knowing from experience that losing a child is very hard to deal with plus I had a lot to deal with while I was pregnant with my son!! I was so discouraged after my miscarriage bc I didn’t think I would be able to have a baby!! I love this page

BWF January 12, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I have been following BWF since right after I had my son two years ago. I have watched this community grow and flourish. My goals and dream of becoming a Doula has been fueled by your passion and that of this community that you have created. I am excited to say that I have finally after 4 years of trying to find my path to become a Doula it is starting to come together. I have been offered a Scholarship to help cover my costs. I have found the courage to attempt my 3rd birth as a nonmedicated birth. My first I was scared, Uneducated and uninformed and had little support. That changed my views and allowed me to attempt my second birth differently which I did. I ended up with an ER induction due to medical issues but still had a vaginal birth. I did opt for the epidural because of the pain the pitocin induced contractions caused. I am so excited to be able to have the support from this community with my 3rd pregnancy. I can’t wait to share my story.