I Am Strong – Enduring 30-Plus Hours of Full Blown Labor

by Birth Without Fear on September 28, 2015

I am strong because when I was in labor, I was in back labor for nine hours and wasn’t progressing so I had to go home.

I am strong because after laboring another 10 hours at home I went to the doctor to get checked and was in full blown labor but only dilated to 3 cm.

I am strong because I did not want an epidural, but more than that, I didn’t want a c-section so I got the epidural to help my body relax and dilate better.

I am strong because I had been up over 24 hours in labor and got the epidural, but because everything was going wrong and they were checking on me every 30 minutes, I never slept.

I am strong because after laboring a full day I wasn’t past 6 cm and had to receive pitocin, which was not in my birth plan.

I am strong because when my temperature spiked, I was given on a nonrebreather face mask to help with my babies decelerations and managed to stay calm.

I am strong because my epidural stopped working when it became time to push at 30+ plus hours, and I had all back labor with the baby posterior.

I am strong because I pushed for three hours to avoid putting my baby through a c-section.

I am strong because I still have sad feelings about getting an epidural and pitocin but look at my healthy baby I know it was all for her.

blog 6

Tricia September 29, 2015 at 11:19 am

Thank you, my first labor was much like this. You made me feel strong!

Mickey2942 October 18, 2015 at 10:47 am

I admire your fortitude. But, a birth plan is just a plan, things change. That does not diminish your accomplishment.

Ruthann Weldon October 18, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I did 72 hours of labor, so I hear you! You’re amazing! Way to go! 🙂

Sandra Azar November 25, 2015 at 4:06 am

I appreciate your mental strength. i also wanted normal delivery but due to some physical complexities my doctor suggest me for c-section which i still regret for!

Leslie March 9, 2016 at 9:01 am

So similar to my story, except I was at 28 hours. There was no way I was getting a csection unless it was an emergency!!! So glad to hear other woman were able to prove the dr wrong that a csection is not always the answer!!

Nadia W. McNab April 22, 2016 at 2:13 am

Appreciate your posting this. I’ve been interested in something such as this kind of. Excellent info We’ll come back to get info on diet programs.

Lisa October 23, 2016 at 4:20 am

Excellent info 🙂 Really glad to hear other woman were able to prove the dr wrong that a csection is not always the answer!!

My Litte Me February 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm

You are strong and you endured! I didn’t have a choice unfortunately and as much as I didn’t want to have a c-section, they told my my baby wouldn’t make it if I didn’t. Without hesitation after hearing that, I was wheeled back via emergency c-section. I have since had another and now my body is ravaged with pain from the adhesions. I don’t have regrets because I have my healthy children but I am certainly paying the price from the traumatic surgeries. Thank you for sharing your story!