The Post Partum Baby Bump: The Truth Revealed with Pictures

by Mrs. BWF on February 18, 2012

I recently posted this picture and poem that beautifully put the shame of stretch marks into a different perspective. I also wrote this post about the unique shape of a woman’s body and also recently blogged about the beauty of a pregnant women. We are women, we are amazing, beautiful, strong and create miracles!

Yet, we are incredibly hard on ourselves.

Many women express concerns about their bodies and the changes they go through when pregnant. There is fear, shame and wonder of the unknown. Our post partum bodies are unique as our pre-pregnancy bodies. It will vary woman to woman. The shape you are pre-pregnancy, how much you grew during your pregnancy and how your body responds post partum. It can take time. You grew a baby 9-10 months, most women will not look the way they did pre-pregnancy over night (some do though).

Here’s the thing. During your pregnancy and post partum…take care of you. Eat healthy, laugh, go on walks when you are able to again, enjoy time with friends, get out of the house. Love life and love yourself.

So, to know what you may expect and that you are not alone, I unveil Post Partum Baby Bumps!

Racing Stripes, 4 children

PP after twins

19 months PP, 3 kids, short body

10 months PP, first child

10 months PP, 4th child

8 days post partum

5.5 months PP, 2nd child

Learning to love her PP body

10 months PP, after 2nd child

One week post partum

“It’s also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that’s sitting right here right now…with its aches and its pleasures…is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive.” -Pema Chodron

Sarah March 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Thank you for this. I had never considered the time it took to find a new normal after birth, but I am 7 months pp with my first child, and my body is NOT dropping weight like everyone told me it would since I’m breastfeeding. Despite clean diet and exercise, my body is refusing to lose fat, and I’ve been frustrated. I know that what was “normal” will never be so again, and that my body needs to find a new normal after the wonder of birth, but this was encouraging to me. I am not alone. My body is wonderful because it grows and sustains life. My ugly stretch marks are really beautiful battle scars that I earned by giving birth to m precious little one. I am encouraged to affirm myself because these ladies were brave enough to show their new normal – thank you.

Babett April 9, 2013 at 3:38 am

Hey there!
All I can say is: be patient! In spite of breast feeding up to 8 times a day and exercise and all,
I wasn’t loosing anything, either. But around 9 months pp, it all went by itself.
I stopped working out since it didn’t change anything, accepted my body and with that, I went back
To my weight before pregnancy.
Now, 13 months pp I’m even 6 pounds less, which isn’t good, either :0/

Meggy Peggy March 24, 2013 at 11:10 am

You should see the movie “BirthMarkings” at http://www.cambridgedocumentaryfilms.org It is exactly about this and beautiful

Lauren March 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm

My son is almost 3 and learning to love mine again. I wish I had found this when I was struggling so hard with my no longer perfect and and petite figure being 4’11” I got huge but coming to terms and realizing that is necessary for the gift of a child. Thanks so much for this!

Monica April 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I would love to see the film “birthmarkings” but is there another way? I can’t afford the $120 ordering fee or donation. thanks monica

samilayne89 January 1, 2014 at 9:29 am

It’s hard to believe I will ever be okay with my tummy. I’m 3m pp with a belly full of deep red strech marks. I loved being pregnant, I just can’t get over how terrible my body looks. I would deal with this as long again and again to have my son in my arms.

Happmotherof1 April 1, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I am 19months pp I had a beautiful baby boy and had already gained unwanted weight before my pregnancy and during my pregnancy was so sick I lost weight now here I am 19months after trying to find my new me. I don’t mind my body but am trying to loose weight for health reasons it’s hard but things like this keep me going. Reminding me it’s okay to look how I do now and although I will continue my weight loss journey it will take time and to know my bodies beautiful already gives me strength to keep my head up now